Drue Sokol, Photo Editor

To be frank, studying kind of sucks. As much as we all endeavor to be the best students possible, going to the library on a Wednesday afternoon, when all you want to do is go back to your room and put on your sweatpants, doesn’t sound like a fun time. That being said, the proper conditions, like a good study space, makes studying far more productive.

Location and pressure are two driving forces when it comes to studying effectively. While it is possible to get work done in a dorm room, the urge to procrastinate combined with the endless variety of distractions in your room, does not bode well for productivity.

The libraries serve their purpose and they serve it well. Floors upon floors in the stacks of Rush Rhees guarantee you’ll manage to find a spot, and the Great Hall or the Periodical Reading Room are always available as a back-up plan. Carlson  Library and the Physics-Optics-Astronomy library in Bausch & Lomb Hall are also good, quiet alternatives.

Despite the abundance of options for students, junior Michelle Shira Koblenz said she “doesn’t enjoy the nervous apprehension in the stacks.”

“Everyone is cramming for that next day exam,” she said.

Luckily there are an abundance of options from which students can choose to study.
Douglass Dining Hall offers a unique study spot. Even during the day when the food service is on break, ice cream is always available and, despite some minimal noise, it’s pretty easy to zone out on the upper floor. Plus, nobody can see you procrastinating and watching six straight episodes of “Friends.”

Some danger arises if you choose one of the few comfy chairs that are available on the upper floor of Douglass, however, with sufficient caffeine, they can be conquered.

Speaking of caffeine, Starbucks is right around the corner and, for those of us running low on Declining, you can always find a willing friend to top you off.

Near Starbucks is another relaxed study location: the Bridge Lounge. When it’s not swaying haphazardly to the beat of various dance groups, it offers comfort and nearby food. Also, the glass panes of Wilson Commons lend a sort of Hogwartsian Great Hall feel, giving you at glimpse at what the outside world looks like. When you’ve already been studying for eight hours, it’s refreshing to be reminded of the clouds and  sun, even though in Rochester, it’s usually clouds.

The weekend provides so many more opportunities, with open rooms that were occupied by classes during the week.

During the chaos of finals, it’s preferable to find a room all to yourself to set up camp. The buildings on the Eastman Quadrangle offer many good options.

Some of the best rooms in which to study can be found by simply walking up and down the halls of Bausch & Lomb, trying all of the doors to see which are open. As a plus, a lot of those rooms have chalkboards which are useful and make you feel like you’re in the movie “Good Will Hunting.”

In the end, everybody learns differently and has different study habits. The best thing to do is experiment and find out which places work best for you.

Smith is a member of
the class of 2014.

From campus to craftsmanship: weaving chains and community in Rochester’s art scene

“I'm walking the fine line of learning to not capitalize off of something I enjoy to the point where I don't enjoy it anymore,” Cohen said. “I want this to remain something I love.”

A reality in fiction: the problem of representation

Oftentimes, rather than embracing femininity as part of who they are, these characters only retain traditionally masculine traits.

Furries on UR campus?

A few months ago, as I did my daily walk to class through the tunnels to escape the February cold,…